Monday, January 26, 2009

Potty Training?

I was totally inspired by my friend Tara, who was successfully working on potty training her daughter Brooklynn who is 20 months old. I know every child is different, but I had it in my mind that I would probably have to wait until Aubrey was around 2 years old to even think about starting this. So far Tara has been having great success, so I thought I would introduce the whole thing to Aubrey. Some time last week when I had her diaper off, I took her into the bathroom and sat her on the toilet, said "potty" and gave her my simple explanation of what she was to do. She mimicked what I said and I helped hold her up there so she wouldn't fall in. Of course she didn't do anything, but I just wanted her to see what it was like. She always follows me into the bathroom, making sure I'm not leaving her for any moment (no privacy for mothers right!), but ever since that time she always says "potty" and watches me a little more closely. There have been a couple times since then when she had asked to go sit on the toilet, but with nothing really coming of it. Well...tonight all of that changed! To both Sam and my total surprise, Aubrey went potty on the big toilet tonight! I was doing school work on the computer and Sam was sitting on the couch after we'd finished supper. Aubrey was walking around playing and came up to Sam and said "potty" while bending at the knees and grabbing herself. I was focused on the computer and I guess it really didn't sink into him at first, but after she kept repeating potty he took her in to the bathroom. He sat her down on the toilet and she went!! Her fresh diaper was just slightly wet, so she didn't quite make it in time for all of it, but we were both still impressed. Now I know this doesn't mean we are going to be a diaper-free household anytime soon, but both Sam and I were pretty excited and sang her praise! We will see what happens in the future (and the thought of full-out potty training is a little daunting to me), but I just wanted to share our little milestone with everyone! She's growing up so fast!!

6 comments:

Sally and Jay said...

Hey Guys!!
That is so exciting. I think she is on to something. Maggi was completely potty trained except for at night at 2yo. She started showing intrest at 18mo. Everyone does it different but we just let her run around without diaper or pants on for about a week so it forced her to go to the potty, then I added the panties back for a while then panties and pants and she finally got it by the time sammy was born and we were completely diaper free (except at night, which she would have done but I did not trust her yet. Something about needing to change sheets and wash daily) So AWESOmE for Aubrey!!!!!!!!!!!

landersfamily said...

I love her little picture with her arms crossed! Too cute! I don't think you are crazy at all! Emma of course has no desire to even look at it, which is fine with me. But, I don't know if you remember Deena Kaneakua (sp) but she is potty training her little girl and she is 15 1/2 months... she is going #1 all the time! So great job and keep up the great work, and if she decides not to do it? well the way I look at it is... as long as they are potty trained before kindergarten we are good right? lol

Lauren said...

Super impressive!! Hopefully she will continue to communicate her pottying needs, but then again she's only 18 months. I'm so surprised that she came to tell Sam...amazing. What a smart little girl! Hope you guys are doing well!

Thompsons4 said...

Yay, Aubrey!! So exciting :)

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

I'm SO sorry it's taken so long to comment, but AWSUM!! Yeah Aubrey! We already know she is smart and this just proves it :) You know our "potty-approach" and it sounds like you are well on your way. Don't worry about her being too young/little...if they're ready, they're ready! Good luck!!

Jeanette said...

Yeah! I think of it as one step closer to the real thing. She's getting so big and is so stinking cute!!!